Wineries, Craft Beer and Distilleries in Western North Carolina
- Biltmore Winery – The most visited winery in the United States isn’t located in Napa Valley. It’s in Asheville at the Biltmore Estate in the mountains of North Carolina, where approximately 1 million visitors stop by to sample award-winning estate wines each year.
- Addison Farms Vineyards – This pleasant vineyard, winery, and tasting room with wonderful views is located about 30 miles northeast of the Andon-Reid Inn Bed & Breakfast in the Blue Ridge Mountains. They offer mostly red wines as well as honey wine and dessert wine, which can be sampled in the tasting room Friday to Sunday.
- Burntshirt Vineyards – Located in Hendersonville, NC. The Burntshirt Vineyards offers tours and tastings in the renovated farmhouse tasting rooms overlooking the Sugarloaf Vineyard. The gardens, apple orchard and vineyard are a lovely place to stroll and picnic after your tasting, taking a glass or bottle of one of Burntshirt’s 17 award-winning wines to sample on the way.
- Saint Paul Mountain Vineyards – Henderson County’s first commercial vineyard is a family business that is located on land that the Ward family has farmed for over than nine generations. The winery’s 14 varieties of grapes are turned into a range of varietals and cuvees that can be sampled in Saint Paul’s indoor and outdoor tasting rooms (open all year round).
Western North Carolina is craft beer heaven. The craft brew movement is thriving in the area with over 50 breweries in Waynesville and the surrounding few counties, at last count.
Within walking distance from the Andon-Reid Inn Bed & Breakfast we have:
- Frog Level Brewery Company – With a comfortable deck area set beside Richland Creek in the historic Frog Level district, the Frog Level Brewing Company is Waynesville’s only combined microbrewery and tap room.
- Boojum Brewing Company – Waynesville’s Boojum Brewing Company has a marvelous taproom situated right on Main Street serving excellent high-end pub fare as well as Boojum’s excellent
- Mad Anthony’s Taproom – Not affiliated with a specific microbrewery, Mad Anthony’s nevertheless features a constantly changing range of 50 craft beers and ciders on tap, mostly sourced from local and regional breweries.
Slightly further afield you will find:
- Bear Waters Brewing Company – with a great deck overlooking the river in Canton
- Many in the Asheville area – Archetype, Bhramari, Blue Ghost, Catawba, Ginger’s Revenge, Highland, Hillman, Mills River, New Belgium, Twin Leaf, UpCountry, Wedge, Wicked Weed, and the fabulous Sierra Nevada
- In Brevard – Brevard Brewing, Ecusta, Oskar Blues
Moonshiners have been plying their trade in western North Carolina pretty much since the area was settled in the 1700’s, but legal Craft distilling is now taking off in a big way. Nearby distilleries include: