Surrounded by Nature
Experience the Great Outdoors in new and unforgettable ways in the Great Smoky Mountains during your vacation at Andon-Reid Inn Bed & Breakfast in Waynesville, North Carolina. Not sure where to start? Check out these amazing activities and attractions near the inn:
Birding, Gardens, Waterfalls and Parks
- Birding Trails In the Mountains – Great birdwatching sites in the mountains.
- Blue Ridge Parkway – The Blue Ridge Parkway, running from Shenandoah in Virginia to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina, is one of the most beautiful scenic drives in the USA. The Western North Carolina section is the highest and arguably most spectacular section of the road and entry is only 10 minutes from our bed and breakfast. There are numerous overlooks with breathtaking views, as well as trailheads for shorter and longer hikes and picnic areas. View Video
- Cradle of Forestry – Spanning over 100 years of forest conservation history, the Cradle of Forestry offers a snapshot of life at America’s first school of Forestry along the Biltmore Campus Trail.
- Elk Viewing At Cataloochee – For a romantic evening watching elk graze a short distance away, drive to the Cataloochee Valley section of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, which is only 25 miles from our bed and breakfast. There are hiking trails, old historic buildings, and of course, the wildlife, elk, wild turkey, deer and bear. The best time to view the elk is either early morning or late afternoon. We recommend the excellent Cataloochee Valley Tours for an informative, fully guided experience. The park also provides a self auto tour to guide you through the valley. View Video
- North Carolina Arboretum – Located off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville, the North Carolina Arboretum is a botanical paradise of over 400 acres open to the public (parking fee of $14 per car applies). With extensive, varied gardens, hiking and biking trails, and a pleasant café, it is great place to spend some time. The Arboretum offers regular group tours and guided walks during the warmer months.
- North Carolina Waterfalls – Waterfalls and many cascades are located in the Great Smoky Mountains, the Nantahala National Forest, around the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Pisgah National Forest and the Appalachian Mountains of Western North Carolina, including the 411-foot Whitewater Falls, which is the tallest series of falls east of the Mississippi. View Video
- Pisgah National Forest – Another beautiful area to visit is the 500,000-acre Pisgah National Forest – about 30 minutes from the inn and reached by a pleasant scenic drive. Located on the eastern edge of Western North Carolina’s mountains, the Pisgah National Forest has several spectacular waterfalls, as well as great hiking, camping and fishing opportunities. View Video
- Smoky Mountain National Park – The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is only 20 minutes away from the inn and is the most visited national park in the USA with 10 million visitors each year. The park is rich in scenery, wildlife and history. It is a photographer’s paradise and a wonderful place to experience the great Western North Carolina outdoors and its awesome scenery. You can enjoy a picnic, go horseback riding or do some fishing. Hiking for every level of fitness is accommodated, from short level walks to longer trails and even camping and true back-country exploration. View Video
Outdoor Sports and Activities
- Challenging Golf Courses – Our bed and breakfast is surrounded by beautifully maintained golf courses. The views are magnificent and the level of play is from beginner to pro. All these courses are within a 5 to 30-minute drive from us.
- Climbmax Rock Climbing – Whether you are an experienced climber or are just wanting to give climbing a try, Western North Carolina has a wide range of terrain and challenging rock formations as well as excellent indoor facilities for you to hone your skills and enjoy the challenge.
- Disc Golf – Waynesville has a great disc golf course at the Recreation Center.
- Hiking/Mountain Biking – The hiking trails in our area are plentiful. Whether you want to hike in the Smoky Mountains, Blue Ridge Parkway or Pisgah National Forest, we have the books, guides and maps to help plan out your day. Our huge breakfast in the morning will keep you energized throughout.
- Horseback Riding – Nothing like taking a horseback ride through the mountains. Cataloochee Ranch in Maggie Valley April – November
- Hot Air Ballooning – Experience beauty and adventure from above. View Video
- Ski Slopes in Western NC – Discover all the ski resorts, snow tubing and snowboarding you can do in the Western North Carolina mountains. All within 1 1/2 hours of Andon-Reid Inn Bed & Breakfast with fireplaces, mulled wine, hot chocolate and more just for you.
- Up-Close Outfitters – Up-Close Outfitters offers local fishing trips to Lake Fontana and fly fishing trips to the numerous streams throughout western NC. Up-Close Outfitters is committed to providing you with that ultimate guided fishing and hunting experience you have been looking for. View Video
- Whitewater Rafting and Kayaking – The rivers and streams in the areas surrounding the inn offer rafting and kayaking opportunities ranging from the relaxing to the challenging. A good way to take in the experience is with an experienced guiding group such as the Nantahala Outdoor Center who raft four rivers near Waynesville. They were cited by National Geographic as “One of the Best Outfitters on Earth.” View Video Another option is French Broad Rafting Expeditions who offer both gentle float trips and whitewater rafting on the French Broad River. Zip Line Canopy Tours – Navitat Canopy Adventures takes guests on a thrilling and educational adventure high in the trees of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The canopy tour course is entirely tree-based. No experience necessary. You are provided with everything necessary to enjoy any of the 10 ziplines.