Atlanta ..............3 hrs.
Raleigh........... 4.25 hrs.
So Many Things to Do in Western North Carolina
Allow us to help plan your Smoky Mountain Vacation with the many fabulous, fun attractions and activities in Western North Carolina plus our complimentary mountain views.
During your stay at Andon-Reid Inn Bed and Breakfast, you’ll have an opportunity to experience many of the wonderful things to do while surrounded by the scenic beauty of the Great Smoky Mountains and Blue Ridge Parkway. Waynesville has a wealth of attractions, fun activities, and year-round outdoor adventures for everyone. your most difficult decision during your stay may be what to do next!
Waynesville Maggie Valley
- Shopping In Our Town
Antiques, art galleries, general store, quilt stores, chocolate store, art studios are just a few of the quaint shops you will find in Waynesville. We are fortunate enough to have a number of artists that live in the area and sell their paintings, sculptures, pottery, jewelry, photographs and more in the local stores. Walk our beautiful tree lined Main Street and take time to stroll around the shops.
- Dining at our Restaurants
From intimate fine dining experiences to local eateries, what defines Waynesville's restaurants is freshness and innovative preparations. Waynesville offers a fantastic selection of restaurants for lunch and dinner. In the summer, we recommend dinner reservations in advance especially on weekends and holidays; we are happy to arrange reservations for you. We also have menus for all local restaurants at the inn for you to browse through during your stay.
- Western North Carolina Attractions
- Biltmore Estate - George Vanderbilt's 250-room estate in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Asheville, NC. Only 30 minutes from our bed and breakfast. View Video
- Cherokee Indian Reservation - The
Cherokees believe that they have always lived in Western North
Carolina. There are many things to do in Cherokee – attend the outdoor
Mountainside Theater for a performance of “Unto These Hills…a retelling”
with the whole family, visit the Museum with its new expanded research
and education wing, plus experiencing all the rich history they offer.
- Explore Asheville - Asheville is only 30 minutes away. This eclectic city is known as "Berkeley" of the south. It's a fun city to visit with great food, art, culture and music.
- Folkmoot USA - An
international cultural event July 18, 2012-July 29, 2012. A two-week celebration of
the world's cultural heritage through folk music and dance. There are at least 10 nations being represented. Opening and
closing day is in Waynesville.
- Folk Art Center - The
Folk Art Center is home to the Southern Highland Craft Guild. The
center showcases the finest in traditional and contemporary crafts of
the Southern Appalachians. Beginning in March each year, visitors can
see live craft demonstrations daily in the Folk Art Center lobby.
Located at Milepost 382 Blue Ridge Parkway. Great shopping!
- Harrahs Casino - Harrah's
Cherokee Casino & Hotel brings gaming to North Carolina's stunning
Great Smoky Mountains. Only 40 minutes from Andon-Reid Inn Bed and
Breakfast. Paula Deen has opened a new restaurant there and it's excellent!
- Haywood Arts Regional Theatre - Founded
in 1985, this volunteer-based community theater showcases the talents
of the people of the region. HART’s main stage performances are in the
James Auditorium, a 255-seat traditional proscenium space that operates
April through November. In the winter, productions shift to the 75-seat
Feichter Studio Theatre for a second season of more experimental work.
- Great Smoky Mountain Railroad - With 53 miles of track, 2 tunnels and 25 bridges, the Great
Smoky Mountains Railroad offers a variety of excursions that explore the
amazing landscape of Western North Carolina. With the romance and
mystique of an era gone by, guests on-board the Great Smoky Mountains
Railroad will enjoy scenic train journeys across fertile valleys and
through river gorges in a spectacular region near The Great Smoky
- Wheels Through Time Museum - The
Wheels Through Time Museum is home to the world's premier collection of
rare American Vintage Motorcycles. Located 10 minutes away, in
beautiful Maggie Valley, NC, this All-American motorcycle museum houses
over 300 of America's rarest and most historic classic motorcycles.
- Surrounded By Nature
- Blue Ridge Parkway - One
of the most scenic roads in America, the Blue Ridge Parkway (part of
the U.S. National Park Service) only 10 minutes from our bed and
breakfast, offers plenty of spots for roadside picnics, breathtaking
vistas, easy to difficult hiking, and a reprieve from commercialism. The
469-mile recreational motor road connects Shenandoah and Great Smoky
Mountains National Parks. View Video
- Cradle of Forestry - Spanning
over 100 years of forest conservation history, the Cradle of Forestry
offers a snap shot of life at America’s first school of Forestry along
the Biltmore Campus Trail.
- Elk Viewing At Cataloochee - For
a romantic evening watching elk graze a short distance away, drive to
the Cataloochee Valley section of the Great Smoky Mountains National
Park which is only 25 miles from our bed and breakfast. There are hiking
trails, old historic buildings and of course the wildlife, elk, wild
turkey, deer and bear. The best time to view the elk is either early
morning or late afternoon. The park also provides a self auto tour to
guide you through the valley. View Video
- North Carolina Arboretum - It's
a 434-acre public garden in the Pisgah National Forest, located at the
entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway on Highway 191. The entry fee is only
$8 which is a steal! Surrounded by the dense folds of the botanically
diverse Southern Appalachian Mountains, the Arboretum is nestled in one
of the most beautiful natural garden settings in America.
- North Carolina Waterfalls - Waterfalls
and many cascades are located in the Great Smoky Mountains, the
Nantahala National Forest, around the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Pisgah
National Forest and the Appalachian mountains of Western North Carolina,
including the 411 feet Whitewater Falls which is the tallest series of
falls east of the Mississippi. View Video
- Pisgah National Forest - This
magnificent forest has 501,691 acres and stretches across the eastern edge
of Western North Carolina's mountains. The Forest offers hiking trails,
fishing, camping, picnic sites, and spectacular waterfalls. View Video
- Smoky Mountain National Park - Great
Smoky Mountains National Park is literally only 20 minutes away and is
the most visited national park with 10 million visitors each year. In
addition to its role in preserving the rich natural and historical
heritage, the Park is a place for outdoor recreational pursuits. These
range from a short stroll in the woods to a more extensive hike in the
back country. Camping, fishing, picnicking, nature viewing and horseback
riding, or just viewing magnificent scenery and taking advantage of
photographic opportunities are favorite past times. View Video
- Outdoor Sports and Activities
- Challenging Golf Courses - Our
bed and breakfast is surrounded by beautifully maintained golf courses.
The views are magnificent and the level of play is from beginner to
pro. All these courses are within a 5 - 30 minute drive from us.
- Climbmax Rock Climbing - With varied terrain, and stellar rock formations, Western North Carolina is a great place to take those first vertical steps, or expand upon your already developing skill set.
- Disc Golf - Waynesville has a great disc golf course at the Recreation Center.
- Hiking/Mountain Biking - The
hiking trails in our area are plentiful. Whether you want to hike in
the Smoky Mountains, Blue Ridge Parkway or Pisgah National Forest we
have the books, guides and maps to help plan out your day. Our huge breakfast in the morning will keep you energized throughout.
- Horseback Riding - Nothing like taking a horseback ride through the mountains. Cataloochee Ranch in Maggie Valley April - November
- Hot Air Ballooning - Experience beauty and adventure from above. View Video
- Ski Slopes in Western NC - Discover
all the ski resorts, snow tubing and snow boarding you can do in the
Western North Carolina mountains. All within 1 1/2 hours of Andon-Reid
Inn Bed and Breakfast with fireplaces, mulled wine, hot chocolate and
more just for you.
- Up-Close Outfitters - Up-Close
Outfitters offers local fishing trips to Lake Fontana
and fly fishing
trips to the numerous streams throughout western NC.
Up-Close Outfitters is committed to providing you with that ultimate
guided fishing and hunting experience you have been looking for. View Video
- Whitewater Rafting and Kayaking - Nantahala Outdoor Center - Named "One of the Best Outfitters on Earth" by National Geographic Adventure, NOC rafts four rivers near Waynesville. View Video or French Broad Rafting Expeditions -
Enjoy whitewater rafting trips or calm water float trips on the French
Broad River. It is the world's third oldest river, offers splashy rapids
and expansive vistas from inside Pisgah National Forest.
- Zip Line Canopy Tours - Navitat Canopy Adventures takes guests on a thrilling and educational adventure high in the trees of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The canopy tour course is entirely tree-based. No experience necessary. You are provided with everything necessary to enjoy any of the 10 ziplines.
North Carolina is home to both large and small
vineyards and wineries. Each region has its own unique influences that
result in wines that differ in character from region to region. We have a
couple for you to try.
- Biltmore Winery
- The most visited winery in the United States isn't located in Napa
Valley. It's at Biltmore in the mountains of North Carolina, where
approximately 1 million visitors stop by to sample award-winning estate
wines each year.
- Rockhouse Vineyard
- Award-winning, handcrafted wines from a small family winery nestled
in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The Rockhouse philosophy
of wine making is to produce small quantities of naturally crafted wines.
The winery is open for tours and tastings Thursday through Sunday from
1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. 1525 Turner Rd - Tryon, North Carolina 28782
- Special occasion packages are available.
- Corporate and group rates are available upon request.
- Hikers and cyclists... we have picnic lunches available.
- Golf discount with Waynesville Country Club
- Exclusive in-room massage therapist by reservation. Please ask for details.
| Gift Certificates are always available
We hope to have you and your friends join us.